Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Trivia--another thing that makes me great.

Some people are really good at bowling.  Other humans are fine artists, able to draw or paint anything.  And many persons have beautiful voices.  I have all of those talents and more.  But with so much ability I sometimes forget all the greatness that has been endowed upon my head. But thankfully God gives me little reminders all the time.

Last week I was hanging with my friend Kyle out at the 'Blue Coyote.'  We had some food and a beverage,  but for some reason that wasn't good enough for him.  He picked up some clunky device and challenged me to this Buzztime game that was on one of the TVs.  Bad idea for him.

I am most likely the most knowledgeable person he has ever met.  I hadn't played any trivia games in a while, but I wasn't too concerned with this challenge of his. 

We began with a topic we both felt comfortable with: sports.  The game is simple...answer the multiple choice question correctly to earn points.  The quicker the response, the higher potential score.

The game began with not much notice from the peasants enjoying their lunch as they were completely unaware of the free show I was about to give them.

Question 1:  Blah blah blah (not the Ke$ha song) blah blah blah.
Answer: A.
Points awarded--Chris: 1,000  Kyle--167. 

Kyle looks to me and dares to claim that I had a lucky guess (he's not good with losing, and he's even worse with trivia).

I earned another 1,000 points on the next question, and the trend continued through the lunch.  After the first round the score was something like 6,500 (me) to 2,100 (Kyle). 

After that showing I wanted to end the game because I knew how much this whooping would hurt his reputation, but he asked me to play again...this time 'Lunchtime Trivia.'

I hesitantly agreed.  I didn't want to make Kyle look stupid, but I also didn't want him to miss out on seeing my amazing aptitude for random and semi-unimportant information. 

Lunchtime trivia was much of the same, except the Blue Coyote patrons started to take notice.  I overheard whispers of these white kids at a table.  They said something like, "Man, that guy is killing it.  I want to know him."  Another table thought I was cheating because according to them, "Nobody knows that."  Wrong.  I do.

Some frat guys wanted me to be their leader, but I declined.  I've haven't been a fan of Greeks since the Socrates incident.

Kyle, to his credit, took everything well.  I think he liked having a crowd watch him.  It can be compared to a JV girls basketball team facing the Lakers at Staples Center.  Sure the competition wouldn't be great, but what a stage for those little girls.

I won round two 6,700 to 3,100.

Kyle, not wanting to let this opportunity pass him by, wanted more.  I accepted...it was the least I could do for him.

This time around I was a bit distracted.  The news of my intelligence traveled all the way to the pub's manager.  He came and sat next to me and asked, "Can you play and talk at the same time?"  I said, "Can a cripple get sympathy?"  (I didn't really say that, I just nodded).

The Blue Coyote is hosting an acoustic set from Erin Mclaughlin and Switchfoot's Drew Shirley and the manager wanted my input on how the place should look.  I had one eye on the scoreboard (I was winning) and the other on the set.  I told him he could put a few things up to make the wall less bare.  I also suggested that he fill the sides with something to give it a more comfortable vibe.  He agreed and gave me his card.  I think he wants me to be a consultant.

Anyways, I destroyed Kyle again and this time he had to go.  The crowd diminished after they saw how little I cared about the game.  I didn't really win anything but a few new followers for my performance.

It was cool, I guess. 


Kyle and I below


1 comment:

  1. haha, oh man. If only ANY of these events were true. I mean, it was funny and entertaining to read, but it would have been better if it was based on actual events.

    ReplyDelete